Sunday 13 March 2011

A little bit of life...


Hello out there, friends! Today I played the piano and was accompanied by a Rwandan man with an accordian. I think it's about time to get some ibitengi lederhosen made.
The term is almost finished—we have one more week of actually teaching, then a week of review, and a week of final exams. Then three weeks of holidays! It's gotten to that stage in the term when the students have begun to check out, and I'm having to remind myself not to mentally wander. Sometimes my reminders are less successful than others.
Last weekend I went on a whirlwind trip up north to visit my friend Heather. She was on a mission to acquire a kitten, so Operation Baby Cat successfully launched under the cover of darkness late one Friday night. Our target was not happy, especially after being transported back to her house wrapped in a blanket and stuffed into a box. As one of her colleagues remarked, “I think it is somehow difficult to grow a baby cat!” But it was really great to be around a fuzzy animal that I knew was not going to be served for dinner sometime in the near future.
Speaking of dinner, Heather has a convent right behind her house, and we took over the kitchen to make pizza one evening. The nuns are crazy about pizza! They are not so crazy about Jesus jokes. I learned that one the hard way.
I'm going to be off jet-setting for the holidays, heading up to Ukraine to visit Margaret for part of the break. She has promised me a hot shower. It's been five months. I'm ready. Hopefully I won't have a massive panic attach when I am surrounded by buildings that are taller than one story. I might need a day or two in Kigali before I leave in order to acclimate myself once more.
Mk, I'm up in Muramba right now, hanging out with Alanna and petting cows. Umunsi mwiza!

2 comments:

  1. You can have hot showers 3 times a day if you like. But in Kyiv the plumbing is Soviet-era, so you might have to let the water warm up for 5-10 minutes. Such a sacrifice, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to the Cosmonaut is Lviv? Best showers (and toilets!) in Ukraine. Ask Moog to tell you about Simon from The Netherlands. :)

    ReplyDelete